Liabilty FAQs


eyeglasses online

What is our muncipality's deductible?

PACIF's standard deductible for Property and Casualty claims is $1,000.00 per occurrence, but some members have opted in to a different deductible, and three categories of liability claim (Law Enforcement Liability, Public Officials' Liability, and Employment Practices Liability) have a $2,500 deductible. Please refer to the Declarations pages of your current PACIF Property and Casualty Coverage Document for details. If you have any questions, call 800-649-7915 to speak with an Underwriter.

What is an occurrence? Is it the same as an accident?

An occurrence can be the same as an accident. The term "occurrence" refers to a single event that results in damages. Claims for damages arise out of an occurrence.

Will PACIF bill us for our deductible?

Once the claim has been concluded, PACIF will send a request to your muncipality for the amount of the deductible.

What claim form should I use?

There are claim forms for each type of loss, depending on which coverage is called for. The loss forms are found on-line in our Customer Service section. If at any time you have questions about which form to use, please give us a call and we will help you.

Where do I send the form?

Liability claim forms should be printed, filled out and mailed to the PACIF Claim office at VLCT, 89 Main Street, Suite 4, Montpelier, VT 05602. We encourage you to report any serious claim directly to us at 800-649-7915. Serious claims are usually ones involving serious injuries or death or claims that involve catastrophic loss of property.

Should the municipality pay all the bills for the claim and then file it with PACIF?

You should report the claim as soon as you are aware of the incident. We encourage you to file the claim and allow for our investigation prior to paying any bills on a loss. Once you have received notice of a claim, it is important that you report that claim to our office immediately.

What is subrogation and how does it affect the municipality's claim?

Subrogation is a term used when PACIF attempts to recover damages from a party that is responsible for causing a loss to one of our members. If PACIF reimburses a municipality for damages as a result of a claim and our investigation of that claim reveals that another party (someone other than the municipality) is responsible for those damages, we will pursue reimbursement for those damages from the responsible party. If PACIF is successful in our subrogation attempt, we will then reimburse the muncipality for any deductible amount paid for the specific claim.