Vehicle FAQs


eyeglasses online

What is our municipality's deductible?

The standard deductible for Property and Casualty claims is $1,000.00 per occurrence, but some members have opted in to a different deductible. Please refer to the Declarations pages of your current PACIF Property and Casualty Coverage Document for details. If you have any questions, call 800-649-7915 to speak with an Underwriter.

What is an occurrence? Is it the same as an accident?

An occurrence can be the same as an accident. The term "occurrence" refers to a single event that results in damages. Claims for damages arise out of an occurrence.

Will PACIF bill us for our deductible?

Once the claim has been concluded, PACIF will send a request to your municipality for the amount of the deductible. In the case of damage to a municipal automobile, the deductible amount will be deducted from the final settlement check prior to the check being sent to the municipality.

Will PACIF make claim payments to the municipality or will you pay the body shop/contractor directly?

PACIF prefers to make all claim payments directly to our municipal member. If special circumstances exist where payment directly to a contractor is necessary, we can make arrangements to accommodate those situations.

Can we purchase better/more expensive equipment than what we had prior to the loss?

Your coverage entitles the municipality to replace all damaged property with property of like kind and quality. If the municipality would like to upgrade to a more expensive piece of equipment or property then you will be responsible for the difference in cost.

Do we have glass coverage through PACIF?

Coverage for glass such as windshields and vehicle glass is provided and any replacement of damaged glass is subject to the $1,000.00 per occurrence deductible.

What claim form should I use?

There are claim forms for each type of loss depending on which coverage is called for. For example, if there is damage to a municipal vehicle due to an automobile accident, please submit the information on an Automobile Loss Form. If at anytime you have questions about which form to use, please give us a call and we will help you. The loss forms are found on-line on our Report a Claim page.

Where do I send the form?

An automobile claim form should be printed, filled out and mailed to the PACIF Claim office at VLCT, 89 Main Street, Suite 4, Montpelier, VT 05602. We encourage you to report any serious claim directly to us at 800-649-7915. Serious claims are usually ones involving serious injuries or death or claims that involve catastrophic loss of property.

Should the municipality pay all the bills for the claim and then file it with PACIF?

You should report the claim as soon as you are aware of the incident. We encourage you to file the claim and allow for our investigation prior to paying any bills on a loss. Once you have received notice of a claim, it is important that you report that claim to our office immediately.